Re: disable recyclebin?

  • From: Wolfgang Breitling <breitliw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:58:05 -0600

There is no such thing as a free lunch. As far as features are concerned there
are always costs or side-effects. At the very least having those recyclebin
objects around consumes space and time during backups. If I can avoid those
costs by being careful when performing destructive actions and checking twice
then I shall. Such actions should be scripted and how much effort does it take
to put in a statement which checks for the database name and aborts if it is
production. That should be a standard piece of code in every script and thus
require a deliberate action to remove if you really mean production.
Of course, as Mark pointed out, production can have many meanings and damaging
a dev/test database by mistake can be just as costly as doing it in a
"production" database.