disable pk works differently in oracle 9 and oracle 10?

  • From: genegurevich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "oracle-l" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:40:26 -0500

Hi all:

I have noticed that something that I was able to do in oracle9 can't be
done in oracle10. This is very annoying and
I would appreciate any thoughts on this:

Oracle 9:

SQL> select * from v$version;
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.2.0.4.0 - 64bit Production
PL/SQL Release 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
CORE    9.2.0.3.0       Production
TNS for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production
NLSRTL Version 9.2.0.4.0 - Production

SQL> drop table test1;

Table dropped.

SQL> create table test1 (f1 number);

Table created.

SQL> create unique index test1_pk on test1 (f1);

Index created.

SQL> alter table test1 add constraint test1_pk primary key  (f1) using

Table altered.

SQL> select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';
TEST1_PK

SQL> alter table test1 disable primary key;

Table altered.

SQL> select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';

no rows selected

As you see when I disable the primary key, my index goes away as well. When
I do the same in oracle 10G however
things are different:

Oracle Database 10g Enterprise Edition Release 10.2.0.2.0 - 64bi
PL/SQL Release 10.2.0.2.0 - Production
CORE    10.2.0.2.0      Production
TNS for IBM/AIX RISC System/6000: Version 10.2.0.2.0 - Productio
NLSRTL Version 10.2.0.2.0 - Production

5 rows selected.

SQL> drop table test1;
drop table test1
           *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00942: table or view does not exist

SQL>  create table test1 (f1 number);

Table created.

SQL>  create unique index test1_pk on test1 (f1);

Index created.

SQL> alter table test1 add constraint test1_pk primary key  (f1) using

Table altered.

SQL> select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';
TEST1_PK

SQL>  alter table test1 disable primary key;

Table altered.

SQL>  select index_name from dba_indexes where table_name = 'TEST1';
TEST1_PK

Here the index stays after the PK is disabled.

This is a big difference IMO and I wonder whether this is a new feature in
oracle10 or whether this is something I am not
doing correctly. If anyone has any insight on that please let me know

thank you

Gene Gurevich
Oracle Engineering
224-405-4079