RE: "direct path read" and "db file sequential read" used for full table scans in 11g

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Mark W. Farnham" <mwf@xxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:56:23 +0000

Thanks Mark, it looks like that could explain what I'm seeing.  The table has
270 columns and lots of chained rows as you can see below (db_block_size is
8k).  I cleaned up some of the chained rows with an online shrink, but I still
have a lot more to clean up and I may need to consider creating a separate 16k
tablespace and buffer cache for this table but I'd like to avoid that if
possible.

QL> select count(*) from dba_tab_columns where table_name = 'T_TRIWORKTASK';

  COUNT(*)
----------
       270

SQL> select count(*) from tridata.t_triworktask;

  COUNT(*)
----------
    602695

SQL> analyze table tridata.t_triworktask list chained rows;

Table analyzed.

SQL> select count(*) from chained_rows;

  COUNT(*)
     72668

SQL> alter table "TRIDATA"."T_TRIWORKTASK" shrink space;

Table altered.

SQL> analyze table tridata.t_triworktask list chained rows;

Table analyzed.

SQL> select count(*) from chained_rows;

  COUNT(*)
     35475