Re: "direct path read" and "db file sequential read" used for full table scans in 11g

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2012 17:24:40 +0100

Gaja,

I misread your original posting - I thought you were saying that this would
happen with direct path reads as well.

It's not difficult to engineer a case where every other block of a table
has been loaded into the cache, at which point a (cached) full tablescan
would read the other alternating half using single block reads - but if 11g
chose to do direct path reads it would still do reads that were generally
the 1MB.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/all_postings