Re: diff

  • From: "Bobak, Mark" <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pintor <painterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 10:46:42 -0500

Hi David,

The definition of what's acceptable can be found at:
//www.freelists.org/list/oracle-l

I see your point, and certainly I made a judgement call. There is probably no
right answer. However, based on the fact that the original posting made no
mention of Oracle, added to the fact that this particular poster seems to like
being spoonfed answers, I took the position I did.

-Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 21, 2009, at 9:33, "David Pintor"
<painterman@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:painterman@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

Where are exactly the limits on what is off-topic and what it isn't?

Even if this is an Oracle list and I agree that we should talk about Oracle
here, I think the subject might be of interest to most DBA's, specially those
working on Unix servers. It's not like if the question was about how to bake a
cake or something.

Also, I presume you will agree that any good DBA *must* have good OS skills,
which makes me think that this question is not completely unrelated.

Unfortunately, I don't know either the solution for Noor's question, so if
anyone can help I would be glad to know the answer :-)

Thanks!

David

2009/12/21 Bobak, Mark
<<mailto:Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
There seems to be a failure to communicate here. This list is 'Oracle-L'. I
don't see any Oracle related questions. Just because there are many people on
this list that happen to have knowledge on large variety of subjects, that's
not a license to post questions on any subject that strikes your fancy.

Please restrict your questions to Oracle related subjects.

-Mark

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 21, 2009, at 6:38, "Noor Mulla"
<<mailto:Noor.Mulla@xxxxxx>Noor.Mulla@xxxxxx<mailto:Noor.Mulla@xxxxxx>> wrote:

Hi,

I have couple of files (one like below as exmple) which needs to be compared
using diff command.

File a.txt
Table_name     row_count
A                             10
D                             11
C                             34
D                             45
E                              34
F                              26
G                             83

File b.txt
Table_name     row_count
A                             10
D                             11
C                             34
C1                           67
C2                           87
D                             45
E                              34
E1                           19
E2                           90
F                              26
G                             83

However, if the contents  in both the files are not in sequence(side by side)
its not giving the correct output.

I am using this command -  diff a.txt b.txt |awk '{ if($2 != $4) print  }'| awk
'{printf "%s %s\n",$1, $4}'> result.out

How can I get the results irrespective of data not sorted or is there a way
that both files can be sorted for order and ignore space/tab etc.

Finally, I want to send the result to my manager via mailx ….

Eg:
DBALIST=’<mailto:asdf@xxxxxxx>asdf@xxxxxxx<mailto:asdf@xxxxxxx>’
SUBJECT="WARNING: Row count difference in Oracle Sybase"
diff c.txt d.txt |awk '{ if($2 != $4) print  }' > result1.out
diff e.txt f.txt |awk '{ if($2 != $4) print  }' > result2.out
diff g.txt h.txt |awk '{ if($2 != $4) print  }' > result3.out
mailx -s "$SUBJECT" $DBALIST < output.txt

How can I club all 3 result* file into one. If I open output.txt file I should
be able to identify result1.out,result2.out etc…
Thanks & Regards
Noor M Mulla
HCLT - Bangalore

DISCLAIMER:

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates.
Any views or opinions presented in
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the
opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
distribution and / or publication of
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
strictly prohibited. If you have
immediately. Before opening any mail and