dedicated spindles and Oracle

  • From: ryan_gaffuri@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:30:36 +0000

I was talking to an Oracle guy who also works with SANs. This is what he told
me. For optimal performance do the following

2 redo log groups each with dedicated spindles
2 archive logs each with dedicated spindles

 data data files have their own dedicates spindles with several lines and
spread the data files out
index data files do the same thing but have their own dedicated spindles

control files can be placed on the same spindles as data files, however, check
point activity on systems with large numbers of data files especially when
doing hot backups may require control files having their own dedicated
spindles.

What is your opinion? Is there any way to estimate a good starting point to
test LUN sizes for performance? Not sure what sizes I should ask for to begin
my performance tests. I was thinking of running bench marks with several
different sized LUNs.