Re: dbsnmp and oraInventory - Advice !

  • From: Ana Choto <achoto@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: premj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:34:25 -0400

The way I have installed Oracle software, owned by, say oracle, oracle1,
oracleg, and to fool the installer into thinking that there is no Oracle
software installed is by renaming the /var/opt/oratab to something like
oratab_<instance>.   After the installation I add all the databases to the
new oratab file.  The problem I ran into is that Oracle keeps on trying to
use port 1521 by default.  I have to edit the listener.ora, tnsnames.ora,
Rename the listener.  Maybe someone out there can offer better ways to deal
with this issue.

I had the same problem with dbsnmp.  For the newest intelligent agent to
discover your other services I had stop dbsnmp, unset the TNS_ADMIN
variable and start dbsnmp.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

Ana E. Choto
American University
e-Operations - Information Technology
Phone (202) 885-2275
Fax      (202) 885-2224

             "Prem Khanna J"
             <premj@rediffmail
             Sent by:                  oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
             oracle-l-bounce@f                                          cc
             reelists.org
                                                                   Subject
                                       dbsnmp and oraInventory - Advice !
             09/30/2004 04:24
             AM

             Please respond to
             premj@rediffmail.
                    com

Hi all,

The ENV is oracle 9.2.0.4 / Aix5.2L.

we would like to have different oracle inventory
(in /etc) for different oracle homes.The reason for
doing this is :  one instance is not affected by
another instance , if there happens to a problem
with the inventory. Other than maintaining multiple
 inventory , is there a better solution for this ?
(In my case, the number of inventory will not be more than 2)

But, we want to use DBSNMP also. This by default reads
 /etc/oratab to get the list of oracle homes . How do make it
 read my oratab (say /etc/new/oratab) also ?

All i want is : dbsnmp should discover all my instances !
This is where i'm stuck .

Can someone guide me ? Any suggestions please ?!

Regards,
Prem.