dbms_system - set a string parameter in another session?

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 12:09:47 -0800

I feel like I am missing something when I look at dbms_system.

There are routines for setting integer and boolean parameter values in
another session:
dbms_system.set_bool_param_in_session
dbms_system.set_int_param_in_session

What about setting string values?

For instance, I would like to do the equivalent of this in another users
session:

   ALTER SESSION SET use_stored_outlines=CIM_TUNE

but via dbms_system when the user logs on, or dynamically.

I know I can use execute immediate in a trigger, but that does
not help with changing the value in a current session.

Any ideas?

Hopefully this is not a D'Oh! moment.  :)

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com