RE: dbms_space.space_usage and effectiveness of purge operations

  • From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Stalin <stalinsk@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2013 22:20:05 +0000

I am now curious about why your index shows only FULL and FS2 - and it occurs
to me that it's a feature of the way ASSM is using its bitmaps for indexes that
I've not even considered.  My comments about pctfree 25 would make perfect
sense if indexes behaved the same way as tables with ASSM - but actually it
doesn't make sense to talk about any "level of freeness" for index blocks, the
leaf block is either in the right place with the right content or it's empty
and can be used elsewhere.

Where did you read the bit about the FS2 identifying blocks on the free list ?
I clearly have some reading to do, and a little bit of testing because I'm no
longer sure how I should interpret your original figures.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis