RE: dbms package? - analyze table validate structure

  • From: "Crisler, Jon" <Jon.Crisler@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <yong321@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 12:15:38 -0500

My understanding of "rebuild index online" is that it does not read the
table, rather it just reads the current index while building a new
index, and at the end renames the new object while deleting the old
object. This is why the rebuild index can be so much faster that a true
create index.

 Regardless of how it actually works, I have found that this does not
fix the problem- the index must be dropped first.  I wish this did work,
it would have gone much faster in my case.