Re: db_unique_name

  • From: Mihajlo Tekic <mihajlo.tekic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kp0773@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 14:11:14 -0500

I am assuming you are talking about Data Guard configuration.

It depends upon the type of the standby database (physical/logical).

In a case of a physical standby database DB_NAME must be the same for all
databases participating in the configuration. On other hand DB_UNIQUE_NAME
specifies a globally unique name for the database which is used to uniquely
identify a database in the standby configuration. Therefore only one
database, usually the primary one, will have same value for both parameters.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17022/create_ps.htm#i68648

In a case of a logical standby database, DB_NAME for the standby database
may be different than the primary one hence both DB_UNIQUE_NAME and DB_NAME
parameters could be set to the same value.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17022/create_ls.htm#BEIGJCAC

Cheers,

Mihajlo