Re: db_recovery_file_dest_size

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: robertgfreeman@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:59:03 +0000

Robert Freeman Wrote

>  I disagree, the parameter has purpose. If you have a server with many
> databaes on it, it serves to prevent one database from mindlessly filling up
> a shared file system thus preventing all the databases from archiving and as
> a result bringing the whole world to a screatching halt.
>
> I would agree that an option to IGNORE or some such thing would be nice.
>
> RF

Indeed,

I have however an SR about this with Oracle, since in 10g EM you cannot
apparently configure monitoring thesholds for the recovery area. In our
client case we have test databases that generate circa 30gb redo/day but
sporadically this jumbs to circa 0.5TB per day, not bad for a 100gb db with
4 users!. They have 5 test databases and storage of 1.5Tb available to them.
Their complaint, quite correctly, is that we should spot when the flash
recovery area is filling up and do something about it. To quote from the SR
however we should just monitor disk space. Now it is true that one db
crashing is better than 5, but that isn't exactly a ringing endorsement
really. Oh and of course we'd get 5 notifications for the same low disk
space on archive dest issue from each of the 5 databases if I followed the
recommendation.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA