db_recovery_file_dest_size

  • From: "Michael Fontana" <mfontana@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:59:49 -0600 (CST)

This init parameter really peeves me.  I've been using it for years, and I
have read the documentation repeatedly, yet I still have issues with it
conceptually.

Why have, what appears to be, a useless, or at best, redundant parameter?

The size of the file system itself serves as the governor for how big the
area can grow.  There's no way to set it to "unlimited" like you can for a
storage parameter of a database object.

Certainly, if I was concerned about it growing and encroaching on other
objects in the file system, I have a design flaw and should build a new
file system for whatever else is writing there.

Perhaps it is merely an anachronistic attempt to solve a problem that no
longer exists?

Can anyone explain the rationale for this parameter's existence?