Re: db link

I always create my database links using the full TNS definition as Mindaugas
Navickas suggested.  It makes the link TNSNAMES independent.  I don't have
to worry about what the tnsnames.ora or sqlnet.ora on the server has.  You
can even create them with a failover -
(DESCRIPTION_LIST=
 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xx.x.xx.x)(PORT=xxxx)))
 (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=database1)(failover_mode=(type=SESSION)(method=BASIC))))
 (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=xx.x.xx.y)(PORT=xxxx)))
 (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=database2)(failover_mode=(type=SESSION)(method=BASIC)))))

There is an upper limit to how long the description can be so I always
remove any white space.