RE: db file sequential/scattered read - physical or logical io or both?

  • From: "Ric Van Dyke" <ric.van.dyke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledbawannabe@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 09:02:40 -0500

If it's a scattered or a sequential read, then your server process is
requesting the block from the OS.  What your process doesn't know is
where the block was gotten from.

You're correct that the fast times are "from cache" they are from a
cache at the system level, maybe the OS cache, the frame cache, or such.
Your process "thinks" it's a disk IO, but really it's a cache to cache
transfer of the block.

Ric Van Dyke
Hotsos Enterprises

Hotsos Symposium
March 6 - 10, 2011
You have to be there, yea I'm talking to you.