Re: db file scattered reads

  • From: David Roberts <big.dave.roberts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tim@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2010 15:14:00 +0000

You have correctly identified profiles as a potential solution. Another
poster has also suggested, buffering strategies, using the keep pool
to achieve that goal.

Another responder as suggested  manipulating the indexes, which, with
negotiation with your supplier you should consider.

Between these suggestions are either real or artificial manipulation of the
index statistics.

At the positive end, this could be a re-organisation of the index (through
an ordered reorganisation of the table (by CTAS) to make the use of a good
index cheaper.) or by the manipulation of oracle statistics
as recommended by Wolfgang.

OTOH, if the dataset is large, you may need to confider partitioning.

Dave

PS, you may find only a minority of participants on this
list recommend publications by Rampant press.

My personal preference is:
Troubleshooting Oracle Performance
by
Christian Antognini