RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count causing full scans to takelonger?

If this is UFS, you should be able to tunefs to set
fs_maxcontig to limit the size of the gobbling an FS
read-ahead reads in. The wont control just how far a
read-ahead reaches though.

What you need (and I don't know how to track this on
HPUX) is visibility into the read-ahead blocks visited. All
Fses I've worked on track that. It is important to know
whether or not RA is getting triggered for stuff that
never gets visited.