RE: db_file_multiblock_read_count and performance - Bayesian Filter detected spam

  • From: "Post, Ethan" <Ethan.Post@xxxxxx>
  • To: "Christian Antognini" <Christian.Antognini@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 07:36:26 -0600

Putting multiple sessions and optimizer choices aside I would like to
know exactly why (assume 128 is max) 128 faster than 1 but not faster
than value < 128.  Perhaps understanding the reasons for this are not
exactly clear with the complexities of the IO subsystem.  I agree the
best method is likely to run some tests to see what is the faster method
to access a row given a full scan then balance that with the # of users
and influence things will have on the optimizer.  I just don't want to
be one of these people who think the sky is falling every time there is
a full scan.  I can't tell you how many people come to me demanding I
somehow magically remove all full scans from some sort of query plan
because "all full scans are bad".