Re: dataguard connection question

  • From: Steve Baldwin <stbaldwin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mathias.Zarick@xxxxxxxxxxxx, Joan Hsieh <joan.hsieh@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle_l <ORACLE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:30:27 +1000

(My previous message was blocked due to overquoting.  Trying again ...)

On 10/06/2009, at 6:57 AM, Steve Baldwin wrote:

In my experience TAF is only useful in certain circumstances anyway. When a session is migrated to another node as part of 'automatic failover', no SGA session state is migrated with it. Also, if your session has active transactions you will get an Oracle error during the migration. Assuming this is not the case, if you make any use of PL/SQL global variables to maintain any sort of session state, when your session is failed over, you will lose that state and Oracle will not notify you (via an error message at migration time) that this has happened. You need to detect it yourself and make the appropriate remedy. This can add considerable complexity to your application.

Steve

On 10/06/2009, at 3:13 AM, Mathias Zarick wrote:

Hi Joan,

yes this is okay.
I prefer setting it without the need of configuring listeners in a
tnsnames.ora.
so i would use
alter system set local_listener =
'(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=test-xythdb-01)(PORT=11003))';
on the other node
alter system set local_listener =
'(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=test-xythdb-02)(PORT=11003))';

u can also use
alter system set local_listener =
'(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=)(PORT=11003))';
on both nodes, this is more generic

HTH Mathias

This email is intended solely for the use of the addressee and may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary, or both.
If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the
sender and delete the email.