Re: dataguard = Rac and/or Standby for 10G

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:39:43 +0100

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004 11:12:19 -0500, Duret, Kathy
<kduret@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Is anyone using Dataguard?  Is it worth the extra $$.

Extra $$ compared to what? If you have already bought EE - as others
have said - then I would definitely go with DG. If you are considering
buying EE - "just for" DataGuard *and just to provide a standby
database* then I'm on record as saying it probably isn't worth it.
Manual standby works just as well as it ever did.

Where DataGuard (9i+) scores is in the following areas.

1. Ease of administration.
2. Supportability (try talking to a support analyst about manual
standby its harder than you might expect).
3. Flexibility. Try doing 5 different standby locations manually.

It also ought to score in the area of logical standby - but I haven't
used that and in a survey of about 200 or so people at a SIG at which
I was presenting i could only find one user of Logical Standby.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA