Re: database resource usage

  • From: "Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 09:23:27 -0500

Chris,

Okay, you answered my question while I was typing it. I think your mission
is to tell management that if they are going to develop a proper data
warehouse, they should plan to purchase another server.
   I used to work for a tightfisted organization that resented spending
money for anything. They were planning to share an existing transaction
application server with their data warehouse. Once they realized how spikey
the load on a DW is, I never saw them open their pocketbook so fast. They
had that new server in there in a couple of days and were demanding that I
get Oracle installed and the database moved over there pronto.
   I don't think most monitoring tools will help you.  But you must
immediately read Tim Gorman's paper: Scaling to Infinity immediately. This
can be found at: http://www.evdbt.com/papers.htm
Make sure these guys design this DW right from the ground up.

Dennis Williams

On 9/29/06, Stephens, Chris <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The olap stuff is development. I can't come down on them for trying stuff out. They need to be able to do that. The problem is that our development/test databases are on the same machine and there is no way that i know of to limit percentages of server resources to specific databases on Red Hat 4. ...everyone (developers here) keeps saying that resource manager can do this but that only works within databases.

I'm looking to gather ammunition for a change in our server architecture.

Chris