database resource usage

  • From: "Stephens, Chris" <chris_stephens@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 08:41:49 -0500

  Currently our production/test/development databases all reside on the
same 2 cpu RH4 machine.  Our database environment is growing at a steady
pace.  Over the last month we have encountered several situations where
a developer doing OLAP development in the dev database has kicked
something off that completely saturates the cpu's and brings our 2
production database to it's knees.

  I have been arguing since I got here there we need to isolate dev/test
from prod.  I've been told over and over that we won't be acquiring
additional licenses for new hardware (although this may soon change).  I
have suggested the possibility of removing a cpu from our production
machine and installing Oracle on another single cpu system so that we
could work with our current licensing agreement.

  The developers are understandably worried about taking resources away
from the production databases.  I've looked at the db load and host
(through top) and almost always see the cpus as being ~75% idle with the
exception of the end of the month where a majority of our db activity
occurs.

  I used to use yapp from miracle to graph db resource usage over time
but I see that there is only an 8i and 9i version.  We are on 10gR2.

How is everyone keeping track on general resource usage by databases and
how are they presenting it to their managers?

Thanks,
Chris

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
        This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If the reader of
this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible
for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.