Re: database monitoring tools - what is your short list of requirements?

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, "jkstill@xxxxxxxxx" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>, Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 08:21:46 +0100

I missed it, likely because of the other thread. Storage,  tablespace
usage and filesystem usage. App server - availability, filesystem
usage. Application - availability, failed jobs, failed logins. Standby
databases - log shipping progress, log application progress. So pretty
much things that you don't want to discover at a critical moment. I
also tend to think from the app down not the db up.

On 4/1/09, Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Only a few more things I can think of:
>
> *Blocking locks
> *Approaching or exceeding resource limits, e.g. sessions, processes,
> open_cursors
> *Backup failures - I like to get emailed immediately on these, with the
> option of being paged for critical backups
>
> Regards,
> Brandon
>
> From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> On Behalf Of Jared Still
>

> What would you say are the essentials for database monitoring?

> Privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message or
> attachments hereto. Please advise immediately if you or your employer do not
> consent to Internet email for messages of this kind. Opinions, conclusions
> business of this company shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed
> by it.

Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA
http://www.orawin.info