data masking

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:59:32 -0700

I'm looking for feedback on data masking products. By data masking, I mean
data obfuscation so that sensitive data can be innaccessible on development
and QA copies of the production databases.

The data masking thread has come up a few times on Oracle-L over the years
but I haven't seen much in the way of recommendations.
As far as options go there is

   -    Oracle - of course
   -    IBM  Optim

just yesterday I went to a presentation at NOCOUG by

   -    Axis Technologies

and previously mentioned on Oracle-L are

   - Datamasker
   - Camouflage

My unsubstantiated guess, having worked at Oracle for 13 years, several of
those years in the OEM group, is that Oracle's approach to data masking will
be expensive, inefficiently complex , pretty buggy not to mention missing
some key functionality.  Oracle can get away with a lot given it's marketing
I hear most talk in the industry about IBM Optim.
The presentation from Axis at NoCOUG was good and they seem to understand
the domain well.
The other options I know nothing about.

Has anyone used any of these products and/or have any feedback on them?