RE: data exchange between oracle and sqlserver

  • From: "Goulet, Richard" <Richard.Goulet@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "erenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <erenb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "joan.hsieh@xxxxxxxxx" <joan.hsieh@xxxxxxxxx>, oracle_l <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2012 15:51:40 +0000

From my reading of this it appears that the PII is needed by the third parties
for their business purposes.  That being the case an encryption/masking option
doesn't work very well when pulling the data unless you can undo it on the
other side.  At the same time I agree with the developer that it should not be
laying around on a server or laptop where it is vulnerable to unauthorized
exploitation.  And I assume that those files have to be somewhere where the
outside third party can access them.  That gives you basically three options;
1) encrypt the files immediately after creation using a key that you can share
with the third party, 2) placing the files on a secured share and then transfer
them via https again using a cypher key, 3) creating the files then allowing
the third party to sftp the files to their site using a cypher key.  We've used
approach 2  and 3 over here depending on the third parties choices and they
work very well.  Course you should probably have some Unix based system experts
who can lock down the server in the DMZ as we have.

Richard Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader