Re: cursor loops

  • From: Norman Dunbar <oracle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 16:54:53 +0100

Evening Lyall,

On 30/05/12 16:12, Lyall Barbour wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>   My developers at our shop have issues with learning new stuff. When i say
> "new", i really mean old... Implicit cursors haven't even been discovered by
> them yet. Anyways, what would be a good way of having a cursor, trying to
> find out if there's anything in it, doing one specific thing if there is,
> then loop and doing same thing over and over?
>   Here's current code/way of doing it:

I suppose you could get them to use collections, BULK COLLECT and FORALL
or a loop around the BULK COLLECTed collection from collection.first ..
collection.last? Of course, if there are lots of rows returned by the
cursor, you may need to think about a LIMIT clause on the BULK COLLECT.

That might/should "freak them out" a little!

I refer you to Steven Feuerstein's excellent tome PL/SQL Programming for
details on anything and everything PL/SQL.

Cheers,
Norm

--
Norman Dunbar