Re: creative use of storage snapshots.

  • From: Glenn Santa Cruz <glenn.santacruz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:26:15 -0600

Grateful to all who have weighed in on this topic.

Could you share experiences using these same tools/techniques in keeping a
backup retention with RMAN ?  We've been considering using techniques as
described to achieve a backup retention of 30 days (per our corporate
policy), leveraging snapshots to accomplish it.  The basic idea is to "seed"
a volume with a full RMAN backup; then on a daily basis, perform a snapshot
of the volume, issue our RMAN backup (applying changes to the datafiles),
then delete any snapshots older than the retention period.  Our thoughts are
that the SAN would maintain 30 snapshots -- if we need a restoration of any
of these points, we'd present the snapshot as a LUN to a secondary host.

Naturally, all of the above is to be done on non-production hardware (
against a dataguard standby database ).

Is anyone doing something similar?  Pitfalls?  This is on HP EVA 4400.

Thanks