RE: creative use of storage snapshots.

  • From: <rajendra.pande@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <glenn.santacruz@xxxxxxxxx>, <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 12:36:09 -0500

Yes we do

1.      Take a one time full image copy
2.      Do a daily incremental - merge with the existing image
3.      Take a snapshot (this is using data domain) and do some
housekeeping in RMAN to make this a valid backup as for the date.
4.      And so on

A DG or not should not make a difference

I understand that NetApp has a slightly different snapshot process -
netapp snapshot is for the device not for the directory. So I guess you
will need a different solution with Netapp but I guess this will pretty
much work there also. The technique will have to be slightly different