Re: creative use of storage snapshots.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Niall Litchfield
<niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> like it addresses similar issues in a similar way. Is anyone out there doing
> something similar - it sounds to me like one of those great ideas that have
> a huge gotcha that I can't think of right now.

Hi Niall,

I don't have similar solution but I remember some discussion with my
colleague who has it in place.
He mentioned about two issues:

- initial overhead just after snapshot when your primary DB write to
block and this block has to be copied into snapshot area.
- read overhead - all clones are using this same unchanged disk block
as primary database

If you can't limit number of IOPS from clones it can become a
potential bottleneck.

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com