creative use of storage snapshots.

  • From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:07:29 +0000

Hi List

I have a client with storage technology that allows copy on write snapshots
to create a writeable copy of a storage volume. They are looking at
potentially using this technology to provision clones of a DR database for
development/testing and reporting purposes. The idea being that as these
databases would be a) short lived and b) have limited changed data
block volume going through them and c) not have high performance
requirements they could save considerable amounts of storage by splitting
off a clone using the snapshot technology rather than a conventional oracle
based approach. I'm aware of Delphix Database virtualization which looks
like it addresses similar issues in a similar way. Is anyone out there doing
something similar - it sounds to me like one of those great ideas that have
a huge gotcha that I can't think of right now.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA