create db, mount stages, sql.bsq, catalog.sql

  • From: "Jared Still" <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Oracle-L Freelists" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:49:01 -0800

Forwarded for Sean Hull - he is having some email (sending) problems.

Please reply to shull@xxxxxxxxxx

Hi All,

I know it's been a very long time since I've posted.  Mostly I'm just
lurking,
and reading these days.

I'm working on a presentation for Collaborate 2007.  I'm illustrating a very

basica CREATE DATABASE, with only a few options.  I want to illustrate the
state of the data dictionary when:

1. startup nomount
2. after we have run create database (sql.bsq does what?)
3. after we have run catalog.sql

I've been digging around myself, and for instance at stage #1 v$session, and
v$parameter and so on are available.  In face many v$ tables such as
v$tablespace, and v$datafile are available, but return an error at this
point
because the db isn't mounted.  After stage #2 those v$ tables work properly.

Does anyone know of a good discussion of this, or thorough documentation on
it.
I would like to cover it a little better than my own investigations might.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

--

Sean Hull, Founder Snr Consultant       Heavyweight Internet Group
http://www.iheavy.com                   Rockefeller Center, Box 5352

Subs to Open Insights:     http://www.iheavy.com/lists/?p=subscribe&id=1
Linkedin Profile:          http://www.linkedin.com/pub/0/687/638
BOOK Oracle & Open Source: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oracleopen/