Re: create a view with parallel hint

  • From: "Niall Litchfield" <niall.litchfield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tony.adolph.dba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 06:06:01 +0000

I believe that you'll need to be using a native and not an odbc connection
to get the hints to be recognised. (Crystal used to allow for native/oledb
and odbc connections and only the native connection was any good really)
note I haven't looked at it for 2 years.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:41 AM, Tony Adolph <tony.adolph.dba@xxxxxxxxx>

> Hi folks,
> After some tuning I went back to the developer and recommended a new
> super version, slightly changed and including a full and a parallel
> hint.   The new query runs in 5 mins vs 68mins for the old, so a
> result.
> The problem I have is that query is generated by Crystal Reports.
> Currently we don't know how we can include the hints in the report
> (the developer is looking into this as I type).
> To work around this problem I created a view that includes the hints,
> and then changed the main query to use the query instead of the
> original table.
> Something like this....
> create or replace view EVENT_T_parallel_historic as
> select * /*+ full(eph) parallel(eph,8) */
> from
> then reference EVENT_T_parallel_historic in the main query.
> But,... when I run the query, the hints are ignored.
> Can hints be used within views in this manner, and/or am I doing
> something wrong here?
> Any pointers appreciated.
> Cheers
> Tony