Re: cost

  • From: "Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 09:37:55 +0100

Me, too.
I should have tested it before I emailed.

But I'm pretty sure there is an 8.1.7 version
where the result would not appear - although I
am only basing this claim on the memory of just
a few years ago where the optimizer calculated a
cardinality of 1, and joined to the next table
using a nested loop FTS.  Unfortunately the actual
cardinality was not one, so the nested loop option
was much more resource intensive than the hash
join when it ran.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar