RE: checking for block corruption

  • From: "CRISLER, JON A" <JC1706@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx" <deshpande.subodh@xxxxxxxxx>, "oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx" <oracledbaquestions@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 14:33:31 +0000

RMAN can do a validation of the datafile-  You don't need a backup in advance
to do this.

In RMAN -   validate datafile X;  where X is the datafile number.  Then check
v$block_corruption for additional results.

You can also use Database Verify (DBV) utility.  DBV is a standalone program,
so the db does not need to be running to use dbv.
For raw devices I have never used DBV- may or may not work :)