Re: character set migration

  • From: Yechiel Adar <adar76@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:58:35 +0200

Hello Jeroen

I forgot to mention that changing charset must be at the same time as changing the charset in all the clients that access the database, otherwise you will see garbage when using characters that are not defined in the database charset.

We are in contact with a company that will develop a product that will allow the workstation to work with one charset and the database with another without making translations.
I will notify the list when and if that will work.

Adar Yechiel
Rechovot, Israel

Jeroen van Sluisdam wrote:

Hi,

) My current character set is WE8ISO8859P1, I understood WE8ISO8859P15 does contain the euro
sign but is this a superset?
2) Any experiences with alter database character set? Is this a solution without risks? I have about 3 tables
with either long or clob type fields so I might have to export and import those only, but these are not about currencies so

-- //www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l