RE: character set migration

  • From: "Justin Cave (DDBC)" <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jeroen.van.sluisdam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 09:26:53 -0700

The Globalization Support Guide lists the character set subsets and
supersets

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96529/appa
.htm#974236

Unfortunately, ISO 8859-15 is not a strict binary superset of ISO
8859-1, so a direct ALTER DATABASE is not possible.  Doing an export and
import would be the preferred solution (though there are some
unsupported "work arounds" that may be possible).

Make sure that you run the Oracle character set scanner before making
any changes to your character set to ensure that you don't corrupt your
data.

Justin Cave  <jcave@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Distributed Database Consulting, Inc.

http://www.ddbcinc.com