character set migration

  • From: Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <Oracle-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 17:13:10 +0100

Hi,

I encountered the demand to store the euro sign. With the current character
set impossible.
So I have to migrate to a new one. Docs state
alter database character set is possible when new character set is a
superset.

Alternative is to export and import which is not a realistic at this time
for this organization.
I have 2 questions:
1) My current character set is WE8ISO8859P1, I understood WE8ISO8859P15 does
contain the euro
sign but is this a superset?
2) Any experiences with alter database character set? Is this a solution
without risks? I have about 3 tables
with either long or clob type fields so I might have to export and import
those only, but these are not about currencies so
should I export those?

Hope you can shed some light on this,

Tnx,

Jeroen