Re: character set conversion

  • From: amit.poddar@xxxxxxxx
  • To: jeroen.van.sluisdam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 11:46:47 -0500

You can only do alter database ..

if csscan shows only changeless data with from and to characterset of your
desire.

Data is changeless only when the target characterset is a binary superset of the
current characterset i.e. the all the data should have same code points in the
both the character sets.

If you are able to reach such a state after purging all the junk data then you
can do alter database ...

thanks
amit

Quoting Jeroen van Sluisdam <jeroen.van.sluisdam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

I'm investigating a conversion of charactersets.
I have WE8ISO8859P1 on the database 9.2.0.6, HP-UX 11.11
I have clients either with WE8ISO8859P1 or WE8MSWIN1252
Accoording to the docs I have run cssan with current charset in from and to
This reports mainly quite a few exceptions. These are the garbage in certain
fields
and are probably euro signs that could not be converted.
When I do the csscan with old and new charterset it reports the same
exceptions.

If I interpret the docs correctly I cannot use the alter database
characterset command
due to exceptions and different clientsettings. But why not??:
1) I already have garbage in the database so this must / might be cleaned by
the users
2) Business wants to store and use the euro sign for future data
3) I could change all clients with their characterset to the new one

Tnx in advance,

Jeroen