RE: character set confusion

  • From: "Peter McLarty" <p.mclarty@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 08:43:08 +1000

Be very careful and definitely run csscan.
I worked with a customer in Thailand that had an applicaion where the
front end was cobol. The database had USASCII7 as the characterset and
for whatever reason the cobol had allowed the use of Thai Characters,
which had become stored in the database. Oracle was storing in effect
garbage, that only the cobol application could extract,  and it was
going to take some work to extract that data. It became apparent when
the people were testing and ran a couple of queries in sqlplus and got
garbasge in product descriptions or details lines. This data couldnt go
into a datawharehouse and in fact it was useless  in that database to
anything except the cobol application.

The only solution I could see in this case would have been to extract
that data using the cobol and then creating a new database with a
suitable characterset and running the data back into it.

I only hope its since been fixed but I doubt it.

Cheers

Peter