Re: character set confusion

  • From: Robyn <robyn.sands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 17:06:59 -0400

Hello Marks ...

I appreciate both your answers.  UTF8 is being forced upon us by several
third party applications, and I doubt we would have the option to change the
character set unless we were willing to accept 'unsupported' status.  So we
will have at least three different systems on UTF8 in the very near future,
obsolete or not.

My thinking is very similar to Mark B's thoughts - there are certain
characters that are not going to store in our data warehouse eventually if
we don't convert the character set to something more internationally
friendly.  I plan on running cscan but ... we have global manufacturing
entering data in our systems, so even if there are no issues now it seems
logical that we would eventually hit something that couldn't be stored in
the warehouse.  Which is why I don't understand Oracle's answer to my
question.

And that brings me back to Mark P's input.  Since the warehouse is the one
place I can choose my character set, it seems that the best approach would
be to convert the warehouse to AL32UTF8.  Then we'd be prepared for the
current requirements and for the first vendor we introduce that uses the
newer standard.

thank you both ... Robyn

On 7/17/07, Bobak, Mark <Mark.Bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Hmm…well, as I said, "I'm no expert on this subject…" so I'll be quiet
now and see if more knowledgeable people have anything to say…;-)

*--
Mark J. Bobak*
*Senior Database Administrator, System & Product Technologies*
ProQuest
789 E. Eisenhower, Parkway, P.O. Box 1346
Ann Arbor MI 48106-1346
734.997.4059  or 800.521.0600 x 4059
mark.bobak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.proquest.com