Re: ** chained rows fixing

  • From: Mladen Gogala <gogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mwf@xxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 18:15:47 +0000

On 09/24/2005 10:48:22 AM, Mark W. Farnham wrote:
> Mladen:
>
> Amazing! I had no idea that 85 percent free would magically shrink rows
> larger than the usable space in a single block!

Nothing would shrink those rows. If you have 250k long rows, you are beyond
help and
your application model is probably dead wrong. Tom Kyte has an example of such
case in
his book, when the designers have created each string column as VARCHAR2(4000).
Once you
start entering yellow pages in a single row, you will get chained rows.
Incorrectly set PCTFREE in a frequently updated table is a rectifiable thing
which will be
rectified by rebuilding the table with the proper PCTFREE. It will also rid you
of the
migrated rows.

--
Mladen Gogala