Re: centos to redhat

  • From: Michael Haddon <m.haddon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 20:08:27 -0600

I can feel your pain, almost. The sysadmins where I am at also replaced Redhat with CentOS but understand the nature of support and did not replace the Redhat in production. However, I haven't had any issues with CentOS.

I hope your experiences are similar, but your admins need to understand the risk they are taking.

Mike

Michael McMullen wrote:
Forgive me if I'm missing anything or my terminology is incorrect. I've been on linux for < 8 months My SA's put centos on our dev servers to save licencing costs. From metalink I see that Centos is not supported. That's fine it's dev. But for one of our prod servers they put it on and then just switched a line in a file to have it show as RedHat. They said that's the only difference and it's fine. I'm just worried somewhere down the line an RDA with oracle will show Centos and then no support.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Mike