From: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Janine Sisk
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 5:14 PM
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: can't connect '/ as sysdba'

I'm still googling for answers but it's looking like I won't be
finding one, so time to ask here.

I am working as a consultant with a 9.2.0.8 installation.  I was
present when it was installed and didn't see anything out of the
ordinary happen.  It seems to function normally with one exception -
no matter what I do, I get an ORA-01031 "Insufficient privileges"
error when I try to connect with '/ as sysdba', which prevents
dbstart and dbshut from working.  I have worked with other 9i
installations and have never had this problem before.

Most of the suggestions boil down to making sure that group
assignments are correct and that TWO_TASK is not set, and I've
followed up on both of those.  The group that owns all of the files
in $ORACLE_HOME is the same one that's set in config.c and is the
oracle user's primary group.  I am only expecting this to work as the
oracle user.

What else could be wrong?

thanks,

janine