RE: calculate correct MTU size for jumbo frames?

  • From: "Matthew Zito" <mzito@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>, "ORACLE-L" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 00:21:50 -0500

9000 is the most commonly used value, and as a nice round value, less
opportunity for misconfiguration.  Some old switches could only do 4400 bytes,
but at this point, you should just set it at 9k with the rest of the world ;)

If you did want to calculate, you just need to sort out ethernet overhead + ip
overhead + tcp overhead, which based on this site (first hit on ethernet
overhead on google) is 44 bytes.

Thanks,
Matt