calculate correct MTU size for jumbo frames?

  • From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ORACLE-L <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2008 22:36:02 +0100

Hi out there,

I'm searching for a formula how to calculate a MTU size for the private interconnect of an ORACLE RAC.
I found some documents which suggest to increase MTU size to 9k.
Unfortunately my Network admins asked me to specify the MTU size a little bit better (they called it 'some bytes less than 9k') as they fear some known issues on existing infrastructure with exactly or 'too closed to' 9k. I'm sure there must be a way to calculate the max blocksize of the messages for a Cache fusion communication woth a DB having 8k blocksize. Or is the whole communication that flexible so there is never a dedicated max.blocksize? In this case I would welcome some more informations about cluster private communication ;-)

thank you for any help, suggestion, URL, ... ;-)

 Martin

--
Martin Berger         http://berxblog.blogspot.com/