Re: buffer cache and shared pool size tuning

  • From: Jared Still <jkstill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "D'Hooge Freek" <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 09:57:42 -0800

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM, D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> Jared,
>
> Thank you for sharing the queries.
> But I'm looking for a more general method that is not looking to the
> advisory tables.
> Reason for this is that I think that the figures in the advisory are pushed
> higher because of a query that is executed every 10, 15 minutes and that is
> performing a full table scan on a 2 GB (and growing) table.

Well, that makes sense.  The advisors seem to work well enough otherwise.

> ps) The vendor is writing a patch to deal with this problem query.

Lucky you.  I found a similar problem some time back in a product (since
acquired by Oracle)
that continually ran 3 different queries in the background, all FTS.

The solution was to wait for the next version.

That reminds me, I should check to see if they actually fixed it.

Jared Still
Home Page: http://jaredstill.com