RE: buffer cache > 2GB and sga_max_size > 4GB possible problems?

  • From: "Gogala, Mladen" <MGogala@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 11:17:18 -0500

AIX 5.2 is rock solid 64-bit OS. The maximum SGA size that I've seen on P
960 was 6GB, without any problems. Block size was 32K. Of course there
weren't many benefits, either. If you want to have high buffer cache hit
ratio, my advice is to get Connor McDonald's script. It's free, as opposed
to gigabytes of RAM. Do you have free  buffer waits? If so, may be you
should write faster, for example, by activating async_IO kernel extension.
If you said that you needed enormous shared pool or Java pool, I'd
understand, but buffer cache perplexes me a bit.
Unrelated to that, Pete, when are we going to get .NOT pool? 10g now has two
processes that are monitoring and controlling memory usage (MMAN & MMON), so
it would be possible to allocate few hundred megs for .NOT data providers?

--
Mladen Gogala
Ext. 121