Re: books on query tuning

  • From: kyle Hailey <kylelf@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: cicciuxdba@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2010 16:07:29 -0700

>> I've been working as a physical DBA for a long time and have developed my
instance tuning skills rather well.

I have felt pretty much the same way in the past  though have now spent the
last 2 years thinking of ways that would make SQL tuning more efficient for
the DBA and developer so I could help design a better software interface to
help with SQL tuning. I'm at the point where the results are starting to
show now in DB Optimizer.

This article by Jonathan Lewis is short and sweet and covers some of the
main points of efficient SQL execution plans:
http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/designing-efficient-sql-a-visual-approach/
Much along the lines that Jonathan outlined, I've been working on automating
the visual diagramming and statistical analysis in software, in DB
Optimizer. If you didn't see the earlier post , Jonathan and I
are co-presenting a webinar on the ideas:
http://db-optimizer.blogspot.com/2010/05/visual-sql-tuning-webinar-with-jonathan.html

Best Wishes
Kyle Hailey