RE: books on mySQL

  • To: <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:56:08 -0500

Adam,

        First off, personal opinion here only.

        Second, I would have to say that your CIO is extremely short sighted
and not long for your world.  Yes we do use some open source db's. mainly
PostGreSql, not MySql.  The reason is that MySql AB has not become a real
commercial enterprise & it's only a matter of time before that start asking
Oracle like prices and become closed source.  PostGreSql on the other hand is
totally open source & the support contractors are remaining very reasonable.
Plus PostGreSql and Oracle are two of a kind, sort of.  Whereas MySql and
Access have more in common.  At any rate both open source and closed source
software have a place in the enterprise.  Yes PostGreSql is cheaper to use,
especially on the internet, but Oracle is much more robust.  It's a matter of
deciding which project requires the closed source software vs. those that can
use the open source.  Basically if loosing the DB means your dead in the water,
then you want the closed source.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified 8i DBA