Re: block change tracking?

  • From: Wayne Smith <wts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2010 17:20:17 -0400

I've been turning Block Change Tracking on for various databases this year
with very good result.  As it typically lowers incremental backup times by
90% for the DB I've tried so far, it is very helpful, especially where
night-time backups cause a problem (virtual machines or any machines with
high batch loads or with night-owls at work).

Warning: if you clone a database to the same machine, make sure to turn off
BCT, else you'll have two DB pointing at the same BCT file.  Anyone know
what might happen with a cloned DB trying to overwrite a BCT file?

Cheers, Wayne